Project partners Province of West Flanders
T. 0032 496 59 61 07
Key words promotion, profile, advertising, gaming, monitoring, campaign
Main problems to be solved (analysis) The communication of the province focusses on 3 ‘spearheads’ : Enjoyment, Entrepreneurship and Quality of Life. The spearhead ‘Quality’ is the most difficult to communicate: Enjoyment (e.g. Tourism) and Entrepreneurship are spontaneously linked to our region, Quality is less distinctive in comparison with other regions, is a softer and wider value, more difficult to promote with facts and figures
Policy frameworks to be dealt with/fitting in
Aim of the project -realise a regional campaign to promote ‘West Flanders. Quality. It’s us’ -dissemination of the brand of West Flanders
(Expected) Results a campaign that gives a good overview of all the key qualities of ‘Quality of life’ in West Flanders, brought in a modern concept with modern tools (gaming) to a large audience.
Result : 16.800 participants
(Expected) outcome within the WP - To make a selection of key qualities in ‘quality’ (environment, welfare, mobility, infrastructure,…) in cooperation with several provincial departments; - To translate these qualities to the concept of a quiz for a wide audience; the quiz was promoted by radiocommercials, advertising in West Flanders, social media and several e-newsletters - To generate traffic to our website www.west-vlaanderen.be
(Expected) outcome for the region as a whole (impact of the project; effects may be written in terms of the sustainability triangle = 3 P approach (people, planet, profit), i.e. benefits on the social, economical and physical part) - To define a clear profile on welfare, environment, mobility, infrastructure by defining the key qualities; - Promotion of West Flanders as a ‘quality region’
Planning preparation of the campaign : 2011; the quiz was held October 2011
Costs about 80.000 euro
Financing Province West Flandes, with the support of Vital Rural Area
Implementation of the project (cf. CAA)
which stakeholders were involved? -Province West Flanders (governor + deputation) -Provincial departments of welfare, mobility, infrastructure, environment
what process did you run through to fit the project into local conditions? -We selected the key qualities of ‘quality of life’ in West Flanders in consultation with the provincial departments of welfare, mobility, infrastructure, environment -We traduced these qualities into daily questions for our online quiz
how did you sustainably implement the project (locally, regionally)?
KEY QUESTIONS LIST
1 Which successes were achieved so far in the pilot project? Success: 16.800 participants for our quiz
- what is the background / main reason for these successes? A good creative concept , we followed the trend of ‘gamification’ , we had a thorough preparation with our provincial depts..
- what set-backs or problems did you face and what were the reasons for this? Discussion on defining key qualities and selection of items were based on communication criteria , this is not the way our provincial departments are used to present their policy/realisations (complete, nuanced)
- are there any break-down patterns to be recognized in the project?
- are these set-backs, problems or break-down patterns easy to solve? How? The creative concept offered a limited number of questions (e.g. 3 quiz questions on welfare) , so the discussion on the selection of items had to lead to a concrete result.
- what are the DO’s and the DON’Ts of the project? DO take enough time to present the concept towards (internal stakeholders) DO realise the selection of items/question after thorough consultation with the provincial departments.
- what are critical success factors in this project? A strong creative concept
2 What are the expected boundary conditions for the project to be implemented? - in terms of policy frameworks
Alignment with welfare, environment, mobility policy - in terms of physical circumstances - in terms of involvement of people / partnerships / entrepreneurs / public bodies - in terms of budget and financial support
3 Which related projects can be studied or consulted (other innovative best practice examples) before starting to think on implementation?
4 What is the applicability / transferability of the project? a) as derived from the project results - in terms of critical mass (physical, social, budget) - in terms of the needs of the region or location - in terms of the starting point for implementation - in terms of participation and organization - in terms of time needed for implementation - in terms of expected outcome (spin off for other fields: physical, social, economical)
b) as derived from testing or implementation the project or the project results elsewhere. What were the results there?
5 Which tools does the project bring in to alleviate / help starting up implementation elsewhere? -selection criteria for key qualities -structure for online quiz -competition rules
6 Sustainability a) How is/can the project be sustainably implemented? What is needed to reach this? - in terms of organization - in terms of regional / local networks/partnerships / people - in terms of budget
b) what are the benefits of the project seen from the Profit, Planet, and People side?